ALTHOUGH I have very distinct recollections of the
existence of the churches here referred to, and of the removal
or destruction of some of them, I am unable to give the exact
periods, etc., in all cases, and in consequence of the lapse of
time (seventy years), deficiency in records, and the change of
ministers, etc., I have had much difficulty in presenting this
record, and if there are errors, they are not with me, but with
the authorities I have referred to.
The churches and houses of worship therefore in existence
at this period which I recollect, and which have been either removed
by the advance of population, sold, or burned, etc., are:
Episcopal: "Trinity," 1696, Broadway, facing Wall Street; 1776, burned; 1788, rebuilt and furnished with a chime of bells; 1839, taken down; rebuilt and opened May 21, 1846. "Eglise du St. Esprit," Pine near Nassau Street; 1704, French Protestant; 1741, repaired; 1780, destroyed; 1794,, rebuilt; 1803,, Protestant Episcopal; 1834, sold, then built corner Leonard and Church streets; now in Twentysecond Street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues. "St. George's," 1752, organized; 1811,, in Beekman Street; 1814,, burned; 1816, rebuilt; 1845, in Rutherford Place. "St. Mark's," 1791, Second Avenue and Tenth Street; 1799, rebuilt; 1829, consecrated.
"Christ," 1794, 49 Ann, near Nassau Street;
1823, Anthony (Worth) Street, on site of Theatre near Broadway
1854, West Eighteenth Street; 1859, at Fifth Avenue and Thirtyfifth
Street; 1891 burned; now on Boulevard at Seventyfirst Street.
At the time this church moved to Anthony Street, a part of the
congregation objected to the move and obtaining permission of
the old church, organized a parish and named it "Christ Church
in Ann Street," but it lived for a brief period and in 1826
the building was sold to Roman Catholics, as below; 1834, burned.
"St. Thomas's," 1823, corner of Houston Street and Broadway;
1870, corner Fifth Avenue and Fiftythird Street. "All
Saints," 1825, chapel on Grand, corner Columbia Street; 1828,
church on Henry, corner of Scammel Street. "St. Philip's"
(colored), 1805, building in William Street; then Cliff, between
Ferry and Beekman streets; then Rose, near Pearl Street, site
obliterated by opening of South William, Duane, and Chambers streets;
1818, organized in accordance with Protestant Episcopal Church;
then 31 Collect (Centre) Street, between Anthony and Leonard streets;
1821, burned; 1822, rebuilt; 1856, sold; 1857, No. 200 Mulberry,
near Bleecker Street and 1886, West Twentyfifth Street,
near Seventh Avenue. "St. Stephen's," 1806, corner Broome
and First (Chrystie) streets, then consolidated with the "Advent"
at Fortysixth Street, near Sixth Avenue. "Grace,"
1808, corner Broadway and Rector Street; 1846, Broadway and Tenth
Street. " St. Michael's," 1807, Bloomingdale (Harsenville);
1810, at Sixtyninth Street, between Third and Fourth avenues;
1869, Seventysecond Street, between Lexington and Third
avenues, and 1884, corner Madison Avenue and Seventyfirst
Street; 1811 , "St. James's" was added to "St.
Michael's," and they were placed under one charge; 1853,
burned; 1891, Ninetyninth Street and Amsterdam Avenue. "Zion,"
1810,, corner of Mott and Cross (Park) streets, formerly Lutheran;
built in 1801; 1815,, burned; 1819, reconstructed; 1853, sold
to Roman Catholics, and 1854, corner Madison Avenue and Thirtyeighth
Street, now consolidated with "St. Timothy," 332 West
Fiftyseventh Street; 1891,, sold to Dutch Reformed. "St.
Mary's," 1820, Manhattanville was added, 1823; and in 1825,
"St. Ann's" at Fort Washington was also added, now extinct.
"St. Luke's," 1822, Hudson, near Christopher Street,
now a chapel; 1892, corner Convent Avenue and One Hundred and
The Episcopal Charity School, "Trinity," was founded
Many Episcopal churches at this time were without
chancels proper. There was an altar at the rear, with railings
around it, where children were catechised. confirmation was administered,
and the Communion'` received In front was the pulpit, surmounting
a column, in front of which was the reading desk, which effectually
hid the altar from the view of the congregation.
In the lower end there were two or three pews assigned
to colored persons, and the doors were lettered "For B men."
In 1793 one hundred thousand pounds was received
by the Corporation of Trinity Church, from the estate of John
Leake,, deceased, and from that time the interest of this sum
has been expended in the purchase of bread to be distributed amongst
the poor of the parish.
The donation is termed " The Leake Dole of bread,"
Roman Catholic "St.
Peter's," formed, 1783; opened 1786, corner of Barclay and
Church streets; 1838, rebuilt. "St. Patrick's," 1815,
corder of Mott and Prince streets; later lengthened. "St.
Mary's," 1826, formerly Seventh Presbyterian, in Sheriff,
between Broome and Delancey streets, first Roman Catholic bell
in the city; 1831, burned by a burglar; 1833, Grand, corner of
Ridge Street. "Christ," purchased from Episcopalians
1827, 49 Ann, near Nassau Street; 1834, became unsafe for occupation
and taken down; 1835, James Street.
Reformed Dutch: "Harlem,"
1686, now "First," on One Hundred and Twentythird
Street and Third Avenue.
Reformed Protestant Dutch: 1824,
"King" Street, near MacDougal Street, seceded and called
itself "The True Reformed Dutch Church," and continued
as such until it connected itself with a western secession known
as "The Christian Reformed Church"; removed to Perry
Street. "Broome Street," 1824, corner of Broome and
Greene streets; 1860, to 307 West Thirtyfourth Street near
Eighth Avenue; 1895, sold to the Collegiate Church. "Houston
Street," 1825, corner of Greene; 1854, Seventh Avenue, near
Thirteenth Street; 1859, disbanded and building sold. "Manhattan,"
1826, Third Street near Avenue D; 1872, sold. "Duane Street"
(colored), 1826, schoolroom near Hudson Street; 1828, disbanded.
"Orchard Street," 1826, near Broome Street; 1833, sold.
"Warren Street," near Broadway; 1809, Elizabeth, between
Walker and Hester streets, as Presbyterian; 1814,, sold to "Asbury,"
colored Methodists, burned. "Independent," 1818, rear
of 488 Pearl Street; 1820, Vandewater Street; 1821, to Congregational.
"Broadway," 1817, corner of Anthony Street, dissolved.
"Providence Chapel," 1819, Hall, corner of Chapel (West
Broadway) and Provost (Franklin) Street; 1823, 49 Thompson, near
Broome Street. "Broome Street," 1817, Rose Street; 1820,
Broome Street; 1822, dissolved. "Welsh," 1825, Mulberry
Street, then Broome, near Bowery; 1833, Presbyterian. "Third,"
1826, Third Street near Avenue D; 1827, sold to "Asbury,"
German Reformed: "First
" (Calvinistic), organized 1758, 32 Nassau, between John
Street and Maiden Lane; 1765, rebuilt; 1832, sold; 1823, 6466
Forsyth Street, sold; 1834, decreed by the ViceChancellor
to the Lutherans; 1844, decision reversed by Chancellor; 1844,
decision reversed again by Court of Errors; 1861, Norfolk, between
Stanton and Rivington streets. "Greenwich Street," 1803,
Herring, corner Amos and Charles streets; 1826, sold to Presbyterians;
and 1827, removed to Waverly Place near Grove Street; 1861, Fortysixth
Street, disbanded and sold to Episcopalians. "Bloomingdale"
(Harsenville); 1805, Broadway, near Sixtyeighth Street;
1814, rebuilt; 1832, burned; now Boulevard, corner of Sixtyeighth
Street. "Northwest," 1808, Franklin Street, between
Church and Chapel (West Broadway); 1854, West Twentythird
Street; 1871,Madison Avenue and Fiftyeighth Street. "Market
Street," 1810, corner of Henry Street; 1869, dissolved. "Vandewater
Street," 1820, formerly Congregational.
Lutheran: " First,"
1660, in Fort Amsterdam. "Trinity," 1671 log church
southwest corner of Broadway and Rector Street; 1741, rebuilt;
burned in the great fire in 1776; 1805, ground sold to Grace Episcopal
Church; 1744, congregation divided, part to an old brewery in
Skinner Road (Cliff Street); 1767, reunited as "Christ"
or "Old Swamp Church," corner of Frankfort and William
streets (see page l00), sold to colored Presbyterians; 1822, removed
to "St. Matthew's" (Evangelical) Lutheran, Walker Street,
between Broadway and Elm Street, now corner of Broome and Elizabeth
streets; 1826, sold. "St. James," 1827, Orange Street,
between Hester and Grand streets, building donated by Peter Lorillard;
abandoned, 1848; then Mulberry, near Grand Street; 1857, Fifteenth
Street, opposite Stuyvesant Square, now (1895) southwest corner
of Madison Avenue and Seventythird Street. "Zion,"
1797, corner of Mott and Cross (Park) streets; 1801, consecrated;
1810, changed to "Zion Episcopal."
The trustees of the Lutheran "Old Swamp Church"
in its early days were offered a plot of ground of about six acres
in Canal Street near Broadway, a part of the Lispenard Meadows;
and the Board passed the following resolution: "That it was
inexpedient to accept the gift, inasmuch as the land was not worth
Collegiate Reformed Dutch Church: Organized,
1628; chartered, 1696; site of first church, 1633, on Pearl Street
(now No. 33); 1642, the "Church in the Fort," known
as "St. Nicholas' Church." "South Church,"
1693, Garden Alley (Garden Street), Exchange Place;**
** In Garden Street Exchange
Place) there was a free school organized in 1663, and in 1784
the Church built one opposite to it, which was removed to Duane
Street and in 1835 to Canal, corner of Elm Street;
1847, on Fourth Street; 1861, Twenty-ninth Street
and Seventh Avenue; now (1892) corner of Seventyseventh
Street and West End Avenue, and known as the Collegiate School."
1766, enlarged; 1807, rebuilt; 1812, independent
of the Collegiate Church; 1835, burned in the great fire, congregation
divided, part building in Washington Square and part in Murray
Street; then corner of Fifth Avenue and Twenty-first Street. "Middle,"
1729, Nassau, between Cedar and Liberty Streets ; 1790, renewed;
1845, rented to United States for Postoffice; 1861, sold;
1882, taken down. "North," 1769, on William, between
Fulton and Ann Streets; 1875, site leased and building removed;
1839, Lafayette Place and Fourth Street; 1887, site leased and
building taken down; 1854, Fifth Avenue and Twenty-ninth Street.
Presbyterian: "First." City Hall, 1716 Wall Street, near Broadway; 1748, enlarged; 1810 rebuilt; 1834, burned and rebuilt; 1844, sold; 1846, Fifth Avenue, between Eleventh and Twelfth streets. "Scotch," organized, 1756; Cedar Street No. 33, 1847, corner of Crosby and Grand streets; 1853, on West Fourteenth Street, corner Sixth Avenue; now (1895), Ninetyfifth and Ninetysixth streets, and Central Park West. " Brick," *
* In 1811, On the occurrence of the great fire in Chatham Street, a flake from it rested on the steeple of this church, which becoming inflamed, a sailor from the crowd of spectators below ascended the steeple, extinguished the fire, and, when he descended, declined to give his name The plot on which this church was located consisted of about three-fourths of an acre, sold in 1854 for one hundred and seventyfive thousand dollars, and in one year after for three hundred and fifty thousand.
1768, Chatham (Park Row) Street; 1854, sold; 1858,
corner of Fifth Avenue and Thirtyseventh Street. "First
Associate Presbyterian," 1787, "Nassau Street,"
near Maiden Lane; 1803, rebuilt; 1824, sold to Baptists, 1853,
"Grand Street," corner Grand and Mercer streets; 1867,
"Fourth," Thirtyfourth Street, between Sixth and
Seventh avenues; 1893, Ninetyfirst Street and West End Avenue.
"Rutgers Street," 1797, established; 1798, corner of
Henry Street; 1842,rebuilt; 1870, "Madison Avenue" (by
James Lenox), corner of Twentyninth Street, united with
it as "Rutgers Church," built and sold in 1888; now
corner of Boulevard and Seventythird Street. "Pearl
Street" (Associate), 1797, No. 550 Magazine (Pearl), between
Elm Street and Broadway; 1837, burned and rebuilt. "Chambers
Street," 1801, opposite New York Institution, near Broadway;
1818,, rebuilt; 1826, congregation divided, one part Sixth Street
(Waverly Place); 1835, Chambers Street, sold and removed to Prince,
corner of Marion Street; 1849, sold and rebuilt in Twelfth Street
near Sixth Avenue. "Cedar Street" (Associate), 1808,
between William and Nassau streets; 1834, sold; 1836, corner of
Duane and Church streets, as "Duane Street Church";
1852, corner of Nineteenth Street; and 1875, corner of Fiftyfifth
Street and Fifth Avenue. "Canal Street" (Irish), 1809,
Orange, near Grand Street; 1825, Canal and Greene streets. "Spring
Street" (Old), 1811, near Varick Street; 1825, removed to
and known as "Laight Street," corner of Varick Street;
1843, dissolved, and sold to Baptists. "Cedar Street,"
near Broadway, 1812; then (Scotch Associate), No. 37 Murray Street,
opposite Columbia College; 1841, taken down and rebuilt in Eighth
Street, opposite Lafayette Place; vacated and sold. "Seventh
Church," 1818, organized in house, Grand, near Lewis Street;
1819, Sheriff, between Broome and Delancey streets; 1826, sold
to Roman Catholics; 1827, corner of Broome and Ridge streets;
1831, burned and rebuilt. "Allen Street," 1820, Bancker
(Madison) Street; 1823, removed to Allen, corner of Grand Street;
1832, rebuilt; now Forsyth Street. "Eighth," organized
1819; 1821, Christopher, near Asylum Street; 1841, sold to St.
Matthew's; 1842, disbanded. "Vandewater Street," 1821,
near Frankfort Street; 1823, withdrawn from the Presbytery; 1825,
revived; 1825, dissolved. "Central," 1822, Broome, near
Elm Street, now West Fiftyseventh Street, near Seventh Avenue.
"Village," 1822, near North River and Le Roy Street,
then as Tabernacle Church; 1830, disbanded. "Bowery,"
1822; 1861, sold and dissolved. "Provost Street," 1823,
near Chapel Street (West Broadway); 1825, sold and dissolved.
"Bleecker Street," 1825, near Broadway, then Fourth
Avenue, corner Twentysecond Street. "Spring Street,"
Scotch (new), 1825, Spring, near Varick Street. "Welsh"
(Calvinistic), 1833, Broome Street, near Bowery, now 225 East
Thirteenth Street. "First" (colored), 1824, Elm, near
Canal Street; 1825, sold to Jews' synagogue (Benai Jeshurun);
1830, purchased the Swamp Church, corner Frankfort and William
Methodist Episcopal: 1767,
Rigging loft in Horse and Cart Street ( 120 William), between
John and Fair (Fulton) streets; 176870, "Wesley Chapel"
or "John Street," between Nassau and William streets
(the first Methodist church in America); 181718, rebuilt;
1841, rebuilt smaller. 1789, "Forsyth Street" ("Second
Street" and "Bowery") in Second (Forsyth), near
Division Street; 1833, rebuilt; 1873, altered and cut down. 1797,
"Duane Street" ("North Church," "North
River Church," and "Hudson Church"), Barley (Duane),
between Hudson and Greenwich streets; abandoned and sold; "Duane
Church," its successor, 1863, Hudson, near Spring Street.
"Seventh Street" ("TwoMile Stone," "Bowery
Village"), a school house and room; 1795, Nicholas William,
between Seventh and Eighth streets and Second and Third avenues;
1817, church built beside it with part of material of first church
in John Street; 1830, removed; 183637, Seventh Street, between
Second and Third avenues. 1810, "Bedford Street" ("Greenwich
Village"), corner of Bedford and Morton streets; 1830, enlarged;
1840, new building. 181011 "Allen Street" ("Fourth
Street,") between Delancey and Rivington streets; 183637,
rebuilt; 1888,, removed to Rivington between Ludlow and Orchard
streets, and named "Allen Street Memorial"; original
church sold to and refitted by a Jewish synagogue. 1819, "Willett
Street," occupied a mission house leased of Presbyterians,
Broome, near Lewis Street; 1826, Willett Street. 1820, "The
Methodist Society" (Stillwellite), school room in Chrystie
Street, then church in . Chrystie, between Pump (Canal) and Hester
streets; eventually dissolved. 1824, a second church in "Sullivan
Street" (Stillwellite), near Spring Street; 1830, joined
the Methodist Protestant Church; 1839, sold and rebuilt in same
street, near Bleecker; 1842, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church
as "Sullivan Street"; 1860, "Washington Square,"
Fourth Street between Sixth Avenue and Washington Square.
African Methodist Episcopal: "Zion,"
1796, occupied a house in Cross (Park), between Mulberry and Orange
(Baxter) streets; 1800, organized, then at corner of Church and
Leonard streets; 1820, rebuilt; 1839, burned; 1840, rebuilt; 1864,
removed to Bleecker, corner Tenth Street; 1813, a branch formed
in Elizabeth near Pump (Canal) Street; 1820, rejoined; 1822, again
separated. "Asbury," divided and known as "Asbury
Church"; 1820, united with "Zion"; 1823, Elizabeth
Street church burned; then "Broadway Tabernacle," then
hall corner of Elizabeth and Grand streets, then in hall on Howard
Street, then Fourth Street, then Third Street near Avenue D. 1820,
"Mott Street" near Walker Street; then burned; then
Elizabeth Street; 1835, Second Street.
Congregational," 1821, Chambers, near Church Street; 1843,
sold; now "All Souls," corner Twentieth Street and Fourth
Avenue. "Church of Divine Unity," 1845, Broadway, between
Prince and Spring streets. "Church of the Messiah,"
a colony from the First Congregational, 1826, Prince, corner Mercer
Street; 1837, burned; 1839, Broadway, near Waverly Place, then
1865 sold; 1867. Park Avenue and East Thirtyfourth Street.
Baptist: 1724, a church
organized, then a house on Golden Hill (Gold and John streets);
1732, dissolved and church sold. "First," 1760, 29 Gold,
between Fulton and John streets; 1802, rebuilt; 1840, sold and
taken down; 1841, Broome, corner of Elizabeth Street. "Second,"
1770, Rose Street; 1791, then divided as "The Bethel Church,"
and the Rose Street party as the "The Baptist Church in Fayette
(1821, Oliver) Street." 1806, the Rose Street congregation
built in Broome, near the Bowery; 1820, Delancey, corner of Chrystie
Street; 1830, divided, one party going to Mott, then to Chrystie
Street; the other retained the church in Velancey Street, which
was abandoned, and ultimately sold for a stable; and the congregation
removed to "The Sixth Street." "Oliver Street Church,"
1795, corner of Henry Street; 1800, rebuilt; 1819, rebuilt; 1843,
burned and rebuilt. "Scotch Baptist," 1803, building
in Greenwich Street; divided and part termed themselves the "Ebenezer
Baptists"; 1806, Anthony, near Chapel Street, sold; then
in York Street, and known as "York Street Church"; 1825,
hall, corner of Broadway and Reade Street; then hall in Canal,
near Vandam Street, then Houston Street, and then Broadway, near
Bleecker Street. "Welsh Bethlehem," 1807, 68 Mott Street,
between Bayard and Pump (Canal) Street; 1813, dissolved. "North
Church," 1809, Vandam near Varick Street; 1818,, name of
"Beriah " added; 1819, burned; 1820, rebuilt on Macdougal,
near Vandam Street. "Mulberry Street," near Chatham,
1809; organized as " James Street Church, 1838; dissolved
1838; then as the "Tabernacle Baptist Church," 1853,
a part of congregation purchased Laight Street Church, corner
of Varick, of the Presbyterians. ''Zoar " Church, 1811, Rose
Street; 1812, dissolved. "South Baptist," organized
1822, in German church in Nassau Street, near Maiden Lane 1724,
Nassau, between Fulton and John streets, built by Presbyterians
in 1803. "Union Church," 1823, Bowery, opposite Spring
Street; 1831, burned then Mott above Spring Street; 1834, Stanton
Street, near Forsyth, and known as " Stanton Street Church."
"Provost (Franklin) Street," near Chapel Street (West
Broadway); 1825, bought by Communion Baptists; 1832, leased, and
1838, sold to Reformed Presbyterians. "Ebenezer Baptist,"
organized 1825; 1838, Avenue A, near Second Street. " Abyssinian
" (colored), 1809, Ebenezer, or York Street, Church Building,
44 Anthony, near Chapel Street, sold at auction and regained.
Friends' Meeting Houses: "Liberty
Street," 1703, Crown (Little Greene) Street, now Liberty
Place; 1794, rebuilt on Liberty Street; 1802, rebuilt; 1826, sold
to Grant Thorburn, the seedsman. 1775, "Pearl Street,"
near Franklin Square; 1824, taken down; 1826, removed to "Rose
Street," near Pearl; then, 1860, East Sixteenth Street and
Rutherford Place. "Hester Street," 1819, corner Elizabeth
Street; 1861, sold to New York Gas Light Co., and, 1884, transferred
to Consolidated Gas Co. "United Christian Friends,"
or "The Society of Christian Friends," Prince, near
1796, Vandewater Street, near Frankfort; 1803, purchased from
the Lutherans, No. 488 Magazine (Pearl) near Cross Street; sold
to "Zion" (colored) Presbyterian, prior to 1810, corner
Augustus (City Hall Place) and Duane streets; 1837, rented to
Welsh Baptists, then to a hall in Forsyth Street, then the church
sold to Roman Catholics and society dissolved. "Second,"
1824, Prince, corner of Marion Street; 1830, sold to Presbyterians.
Mariners': 1819, Roosevelt
Street, No. 76; then, 1854, Catherine Street, No. 46.
New Jerusalem: "Swedenborgian,"
Broadway, near Rector Street; 1816,, Broadway near Duane Street,
then, 1821, in Pearl, near Augustus (City Hall Place) Street;
1845 sold to Zion Baptists; then in various places and then Eighth
Street, near Fourth Avenue; now, 1859, East Thirtyfifth
Street, near Park Avenue.
Moravian : "First,"
1739, organized; 1751, 108 Fair (Fulton) Street; 1752, dedicated;
1829, rebuilt; 1843, sold; 1845, southwest corner Houston and
Mott streets; 1865, sold; 1869, corner of Lexington Avenue and
Thirtieth Street, purchased from the Episcopalians (which had
been erected by the Baptists, in about 1825). "United Christian
Brethren," Third, near Lewis Street.
Jews' Synagogue: Prior to 1682 "Shearith Israel," 19 Mill (South William) Street; 1706, removed; 1729, rebuilt; 1818, rebuilt; 1834, Crosby, near Spring Street; 1860, Nineteenth Street, near Fifth Avenue. "Benai Jeshurun," 1824, Greene Street.
It was reported that the "Holy Light" in this synagogue had by some accident or unavoidable occurrence been extinguished, and as a consequence it became necessary to obtain a like light from the nearest synagogue, and one was received from Philadelphia.
This synagogue possesses four graveyards, the continued
retention of which, in view of the readiness with which some Christian
churches have sold theirs, has evoked much comment. The "First"
(Beth Haim) 1656, corner of Bancker and Fayette (Madison and Oliver)
streets; 1729, more ground adjoining was purchased, some of which
was subsequently sold; a "Second," corner of Gold and
Jacob streets, but not used; a "Third," on Sixth Avenue,
near Eleventh Street, but partly used; and "Fourth,"
on Twentyfirst Street, near Sixth Avenue. When the Common
Council prohibited interment within the city limits, 1852, removed
to Cypress Hills, L.I.
While some Episcopal, Dutch Reformed, Presbyterian,
and Unitarian churches have been removed from the lower part of
the city, their sites sold, and new edifices constructed uptown-apparently
with greater regard to the prominence of the location than to
the field of their usefulness-the Roman Catholic Church, with
that zeal and singleness of purpose in its advancement which has
ever distinguished it, has not deviated from its mission here,
by the blandishment of a fashionable congregation. It has not
only retained existing churches, but has obtained others, in locations
where a dense population and the prospect of useful work seem
to have been the guide. "St George's" and the "Brick
Church" in Beekman Street; the "Cedar Street" in
Duane, and the Dutch and Presbyterian churches in Murray Street,
were removed more to meet the wishes of a portion of their members
than to the advantage of their churches; the latter, removed to
head of Lafayette Place, was converted to a theatre.
The "Church of the Messiah" was bought
by A. T. Stewart and converted to a theatre, also the "Amity
Street" Baptist, converted to a stable. " Pearl Street
" Meeting House was bought by Messrs. Appleton, and the Broome
Street, corner of Greene, by the Merchants' Express Co.
In connection with the Episcopal churches, of which
I can write from observation, it may not be amiss to refer to
some of the clergymen. Of Bishops Hobart, Onderdonk, and Wainwright,
I have treated in other chapters. The popular clergymen of the
time in this Church were Drs. James Milnor of St. George's, Beekman
Street, and Schroeder of Trinity Parish, who, with Onderdonk,
Berrian, and Bishop Hobart, alternated between Trinity Church,
St. Paul's ancl St. John's chapels, and Dr. Wainwright occupied
the pulpit of Grace Church. Subsequent to this Dr. Schroeder resigned
and assumed the pastorate of a church in the upper part of the
city; his popularity ceased, and his position was filled by Dr.
Higbee. It is related that, when Dr. Milnor died, the city newspapers
displayed their mourning by "turning their column rules."
The service in these churches was very different
from that observed by nearly all of the present time (1895). Thus:
the ritual of the Common Prayer Book was uniformly and strictly
adhered to at all times, whether Communion was to be administered
or not, which Sacrament was administered only on the first Sunday
in the month, and at Christmas and Easter; and, excepting during
Lent, the church doors were never opened for other than burial
service from their closing Sunday evening to the next Sunday morning,
and in religious, moral, social position, and in integrity, I
fail to recognize any improvement in the people at this time.