books which might be of general interest to students of the "Early
Republic" period -- If you find any worth purchasing after following
one of these links, a portion will go to support of this web site:
The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough a "story of the adventurous American artists, writers, doctors, politicians, architects, and others of high aspiration who set off for Paris in the years between 1830 and 1900, ambitious to excel in their work."
The Price of Civilization: Reawakening American Virtue and Prosperity by Jeffrey Sachs. From book description: "For more than three decades, Jeffrey D. Sachs has been at the forefront of international economic problem solving. But Sachs turns his attention back home in The Price of Civilization, a book that is essential reading for every American. In a forceful, impassioned, and personal voice, he offers not only a searing and incisive diagnosis of our country’s economic ills but also an urgent call for Americans to restore the virtues of fairness, honesty, and foresight as the foundations of national prosperity.
Pedlar's Progress, p 117 gives a good quick rundown of several Boston churches, and who was preaching at them (It seems to get Lyman Beecher wrong though, putting him at Bowdoin church whereas he was at Hanover St. in his first years in Boston (1826 - early 1830, when that church burned).
Described in DAB (Everett) as the "largest and most fashionable congregation in Boston". Presided over by Joseph Buckminster from 1805 (until his death in 1812? -- frequently absent due to health); by Edward Everett for a short time beginning 1814, and by John Palfrey from 1818-1831.
Built of brick 1723 in Salem Street, the second Anglican parish, and now the oldest surviving church in Boston.
Built in 1744 as "Irish Presbyterian" under John Moorhead. He died and the congregation dwindled.
In 1780 became Congregational, and then Unitarian. From 1803-1842, he pulpit of William Ellery Channing, the great Unitarian preacher.
First parish of the energetic Unitarian reformer John Pierpont. The church ousted him in 1845 after a "Seven Years War".
First Anglican Parish in Boston. Est 1688; current building 1750 (Peter Harrison, Architect) (Source: Whitehill, Boston, p243).
Sometimes known as "Brimstone Corner".
Presided over by George Ripley from 1826-41.
Described as "colony of [Lyman Beecher's] Hanover St. Church formed in August 1827" (source: Auto...Beecher, II, p162). On the burning of Hanover St. Church, 2/30, Beecher and his congregation moved there for a time.
From 1721 to 1845, had its edifice in the "New Brick" church. Its actual founding seems to have been much earlier on the same spot (Drake 155-6); but I don't know the date of its founding. It was also known as the "Cockerel" church for a cockerel (or rooster) weathervane surmounting its spire. Supposed to have split off from the "New North" (Drake 155), in controversy over the ordination of a Rev. Peter Thatcher. The tradition was that the weathervane was symbolic of the apostle Peter's denial of Christ three times before the cock crowed twice, hence a rebuke to the "Rev. Peter"; hence the church was also sometimes called the "revenge church".
Located on Hanover Street and Richmond, and, according to Mary Cayton in Emerson's Emergence known simply as "Old North" in the early 1800s.
It was from 1664-1723, the pastorate of Increase Mather, Joined by Cotton Mather from 1685, and succeeded by him in 1723.
138 and 150 (?) Meeting St. Congregational. Old, but destroyed; rebuilt in similar style after the Civil War.
Used as a meeting place for nullifiers on 7/4/31.
A very useful general reference for New York Churches is online here: Haswell, Reminiscences, Chapter X. At some point I will try to incorporate that information in the following, but in the meantime, it is available for browsing.
Charles Grandison Finney came there to speak in July and August 1828. Samuel Cox, the minister at the time, was on vacation, and was not consulted, which annoyed him. Subsequently Arthur Tappan and some of his fellows left the church to organize a new one, which became Union Church, which was under Finney for a while.
Formerly the "Chatham Garden Theater", near the infamous "Five Points", In early 1832, iit was leased, and converted into the Second Free Church; by Lewis Tappan and associates, and designated for the use of Charles Grandison Finney. Finney preached there from 1832-35. (Sources: Hambrick-Stowe, Finney, and Haswell, Reminscences (online)).
In its previous life as a theater ("theatre" in most Jackson Era writings), it kept changing hands (e.g. Jan 1832); sometimes producing actual theater; other times circus-like or vaudeville-like acts. Its location may have kept it from the relative respectability of Park Theater.
A "free church movement" was promoted by the New York Tappan brothers and their circle. These churches, unlike typical ones of their day, did not have their pews divided up and sold for the exclusive use of subscribers (such churches generally had some sort of gallery for the poor). In the free churches, all seating was open to everyone. The Union Church was the first of these; the Chatham Street Chapel was another.
Formerly Ebenezer Baptist Church; purchased for $7,000 by Fanny Wright, and "consecrated" Sunday 4/26/1829. On Broome St., and, I suspect, between Mott and Elizabeth, 1-1/2 blocks west of Bowery, and 3 blks north of Canal.
Part of a dream by Fanny Wright and Robert Dale Owen of such an establishment in every town, and "correspondence committees" between the towns, involved in projects like setting up boarding schools to better educate youth and relieve parents of the job. Served as a base for Owen and Wright; offices, printing offices for the Free Enquirer, a book store selling largely anti-religious works, across the street from the "Bible repository".
The bookstore claimed to reach sales of $2,000/year. "Speeches and debates every Sunday and sometimes during the week"; admission ten cents; drew large crowds, it sounds like. (p191-194, Eckhardt, Fanny Wright)
The formal name of the association sponsoring "free churches" in New York.
Pastor: Samuel Hopkins from 1770 - 1803.
Had Ezra Stiles as pastor from 1755-76.
Site of the first Annual Convention of the People of Color, 6/6 - 6/11.
Had the pastorate of Ezra Stiles for about a year from May, 1777. Though he left to be president of Yale, they retained him officially as their pastor until May 18, 1786.
Presided over at one time by Samuel Worcester, D.D.